– from Shields Tavern
Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Virginia
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and cut into l-inch slices
- ½ large Spanish or Bermuda onion, peeled and diced
- ½ stalk celery, sliced
- ½ green pepper. seeds and ribs removed, and cut into strips
- 1 large ripe tomato, peeled and seeded
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1¼ cups broken pieces of white bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 cups tomato or V8 juice
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pass the cucumbers, onion, celery, green pepper, tomato, garlic and bread through the small die of a meat grinder, or chop finely (but do not puree) in a food processor fitted with the steel blade, using on and off pulsing action.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients, season to taste and stir well. Serve very chilled.
Note: The soup can be made up to a day in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered.