- from Chowning's Tavern
Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Virginia
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 cup beer
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- 4 to 6 tomato slices
- 8 to 12 slices (½inch thick), toasted French or Italian bread
- Preheat a broiler. Place the beer, mustard, cayenne and Worcestershire sauce in a saucepan, and heat over medium heat until boiling. Slowly whisk in the cheese, making sure each addition is melted before adding the next. Add the butter, and whisk until smooth. Season with salt to taste, and set aside.
- Place the tomato slices on the rack of a broiler pan, and broil for 1 minute, or until lightly browned.
- To serve, place the toast slices on the bottom of an ovenproof gratin dish or in individual gratin dishes. Pour the cheese over the toast, and then top with the tomato slices. Place under the broiler and broil until the cheese is bubbly and brown. Serve immediately.
Note: The components of the dish can be prepared up to a few hours in advance and kept at room temperature. Reheat the cheese until hot, whisking until it is smooth, before the final broiling.