Colonial Williamsburg® The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

You are viewing our regular site | View a mobile version. Hide this x

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

James Anderson Blacksmith and Public Armoury Images

Please contact Mfa Ltd at 212-528-1691 or for high resolution or additional image options.

  • Logo signage for the Anderson Blacksmith Shop and Public Armoury.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • Historic trades carpenters and other costumed staff raise the timber-framed east wall of the main armoury building in August 2011.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • Historic brickmason Ray Canetti works on the top of one of the blacksmith forge chimneys.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • Historic tradesmen attach some of the thousands of hand-cut shingles to the roof of the main armoury building.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • A historic trades carpenters uses a molding plane to shape molding for the armoury building interior.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • The view looking south inside the reconstructed armoury. Two of the four interior forges are visible.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • A computer-generated, labeled view of the Anderson Blacksmith Shop and Public Armoury when the project is complete in 2013.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • Archaeologists search for artifacts during excavation around the foundation of the Tin Shop adjacent to the James Anderson property.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • A collection of interesting finds from a one meter square area of archaeological excavation next to the Tin Shop site. The artifacts include a pig's jaw, tobacco pipe stems, ceramic fragments, a portion of a wine bottle base and half of a silver shoe buckle.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • This large crucible was recovered during the archaeological excavation at the Tin Shop site. An X-Ray Fluorescence analysis indicated the crucible contained various amounts of copper, zinc and lead.

    Low-res (72 dpi)
  • These scraps of tinned iron were excavated at the Tin Shop site. Eighteenth-century tinsmith clipped these triangular fragments from rectangular tinplate sheets as they fashioned the tinned iron into various forms: camp kettles, coffeepots, cartridge boxes, lanterns, mugs, plates and speaking trumpets.

    Low-res (72 dpi)


* Please contact Mfa Ltd at 212-528-1691 or for high resolution or additional image options.

Photo credit: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Williamsburg, Va.

These images may be used for editorial and educational purposes only.
All commercial and advertising uses are strictly forbidden without the written consent of
the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

© 2012 by The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation