Questions About HERO
What is HERO?
HERO — "History Education Resources Online" — is a multimedia library of American history resources aimed at grades 4 to 8. HERO features programs from Colonial Williamsburg’s award-winning Electronic Field Trip Series and includes video, student web activities, and teacher lesson plans.
How is HERO different from an Electronic Field Trip?
Since 1995, Colonial Williamsburg has produced award-winning educational programs, known as Electronic Field Trips, which combine live broadcasts with online classroom resources. Our live broadcast programs, also available via live stream, will continue to be known as Electronic Field Trips, and the companion resources will make up HERO.HERO will contain resources from previous Electronic Field Trips as well as those in the current broadcast season.
How much does HERO cost?
The cost is $250 for a one-year school-wide site license.
How do I subscribe to HERO?
You may subscribe online or by calling 1-800-761-8331. If you choose to pay by purchase order or check, your subscription will be activated when the purchase order or check is received.
What does my $250.00 subscription include?
- Online access 24/7 from August 2014 to August 2015
- 14 thematic programs
- Dramatic/documentary Video
- Multidisciplinary teacher yuides
- Interactive web activities
- Video scripts
- Program content and activities correlated to state and national standards
- Monitored message boards for student questions and discussion
- Exclusive interaction with characters and historians during live Electronic Field Trip broadcasts
- Recording rights of live Electronic Field Trip broadcasts
- Technical assistance
May my students access the HERO content from home?
Yes, as long as you have given them your username and password.
I purchased a HERO subscription. May I share it with other teachers?
HERO subscriptions are a school-wide site license, which means that anyone at your physical location may use the same subscription and access code. See our Acceptable Use Policy.
How do my students post on the message board?
To comment on an existing message, go to the message, click "Reply" under the post, write your name and message in the text boxes, then click "Save" to post your new comment.
To post a new question or comment:
- After selecting the board, click "Post new comment" at the bottom of the page. Type the question into the text box. Students should sign their messages using only their first names.
- To view the post prior to submission, click "Preview." To post the message to the board, click "Save."
- Colonial Williamsburg staff members monitor the message boards and respond to student questions, normally within 48 hours.
May HERO subscribers participate in the live Electronic Field Trip (EFT) broadcasts?
For more information about the EFT broadcasts and exclusive interaction offered to HERO subscribers, please see our EFT FAQ.