NORFOLK, April 21, 1774.
Notice is hereby given, that a number of vessels will be wanted this summer to bring about 6000 tons of stone from Mr. Brooke's quarry, on Rappahannock, and land the same on Cape Henry, for the lighthouse. Any persons inclinable to engage in such work are desired to treat with Matthew Phripp, Paul Loyall, and Thomas Newton, junior, esquires. The directors of the lighthouse will also be glad to purchase one or two flat bottomed vessels from 80 to 120 ton burthen. BASSETT MOSELY.
Virginia Gazette (Rind) August 4, 1774
VIEW FULL ISSUE
IN DIGITAL LIBRARY
About this entry:
People had been talking about a lighthouse at Cape Henry marking the entry into the Chesapeake Bay for over fifty years. However, the Revolutionary War put a stop to this project. The lighthouse was built by the United States government in 1791-2. The stone that had been brought from Mr. Brooke's quarry in 1774 was dug out of the sand dunes at Cape Henry and used at last.
Sources: VA Cavalcade, 1(2):29-32