The Virginia Gazette

Today in the 1770s: June 28

WILLIAMSBURG, June 28, 1776.
JOHN MOODY, smith and farrier, from Philadelphia, but late from Norfolk, begs leave to inform the publick, that he has opened shop in this city, opposite to mr. Charles Taliaferro's, near the church, where he professes to shoe horses in all the different methods practised in Europe and America, and cures them of most prevailing disorders. He also undertakes smiths work in general, for all kinds of carriages, house work, farmers work, edge tools, etc. and shall be much obliged to all those who favour him with their custom.

Virginia Gazette (Purdie) June 28, 1776
VIEW FULL ISSUE
IN DIGITAL LIBRARY


About this entry:

Much of a blacksmith's trade in agricultural Virginia was about mending tools, and making nails. In the revolutionary capital, business was plentiful for blacksmiths, and a farrier who could shoe horses would be a busy man. Moody remained in Williamsburg until his death in 1779.

Sources: Gill, Blacksmith, p39, 60

Brought to you by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation