Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

February 3, 2009

Bassett Hall program features one of the founding fathers of CW's restoration

“That the Future May Learn from the Past” offers insight into one of Colonial Williamsburg’s original “founding fathers” – Dr. William Archer Rutherfoord Goodwin – Feb. 14, 15 and March 1. This drop-in program is held 2-4 p.m. at the Bassett Hall Cottage.

Museum interpreter Ed Way portrays the man who gave so much to the Williamsburg community. Way portrays Goodwin in 1937. In the later years of his life, Goodwin is semi-retired and reminiscing about his role in the Restoration.

Goodwin feared that scores of structures that had figured in the life of the colony and the founding of the nation would soon disappear forever. Rockefeller and Goodwin began a modest project to preserve a few of the more important buildings. Eventually, the work progressed and expanded to include a major portion of the colonial town, encompassing approximately 85 percent of the 18th-century capital's original area.

In the preservation of the setting of Virginia’s 18th-century capital, Rockefeller and Goodwin saw an opportunity to ensure that the courageous ideals of the patriots who helped create the American democratic system live on for future generations.

For more information on Colonial Williamsburg’s Restoration, visit http://www.history.org/Foundation/cwhistory.cfm

A Colonial Williamsburg admissions ticket or Good Neighbor Card provides access to enjoy the program.

A two-story 18th-century frame house near Colonial Williamsburg's Capitol, Bassett Hall is set on a 585-acre tract of woodlands. In addition to the home, the property includes a teahouse and three original outbuildings: a smokehouse, kitchen and dairy.

Bassett Hall is located at 522 E. Francis St. and is open 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturdays through Wednesdays and closed on Thursdays and Fridays.

Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture – stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic trades people research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry. As Colonial Williamsburg interprets life in the time of the American Revolution guests interact with history through “Revolutionary City®” – a dramatic live street theater presentation.

Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.history.org.

Media Contact:
Penna Rogers
(757) 220-7121



Footer