October 9, 2009
New walking tour features vision of one of CW's founders, Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin
Join museum interpreter Ed Way as he portrays Dr. William Archer Rutherfoord Goodwin, the man who helped John D. Rockefeller Jr. restore Williamsburg to its 18th-century glory. Dr. Goodwin’s Williamsburg, begins at 1 p.m. in front of the Everard House Oct. 20, 27 and Nov. 3.
Way discusses Goodwin’s dream of a restored Williamsburg on a walking tour from Palace Green to Wetherburn’s Tavern on Duke of Gloucester Street.
Goodwin feared that scores of Williamsburg’s original structures that had figured in the life of the colony and the founding of the nation would be forgotten and disappear forever. Rockefeller and Goodwin began a modest project to preserve a few of the more important buildings. Eventually, the work progressed and expanded to include a major portion of the colonial town, encompassing approximately 85 percent of the 18th-century capital's original area.
In the preservation of the setting of Virginia’s 18th-century capital, Rockefeller and Goodwin saw an opportunity to ensure that the courageous ideals of the patriots who helped create the American democratic system live on for future generations.
A reservation is required and can be made at any Colonial Williamsburg ticket outlet. A Colonial Williamsburg admissions ticket or Good Neighbor Card provides access to this program.
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.history.org.