December 26, 2001
Rockefeller Brothers Fund gives $300,000 grant for African-American programs at CW
The Charles E. Culpeper Endowments in Arts and Culture, a part of the Rockefeller Brothers Fund (RBF) since 1999, has made a grant of $300,000 for the endowment of African-American programs at Colonial Williamsburg. The monies will be used on an annual basis to support Colonial Williamsburg’s historical interpretation of 18th-century African-American history.
"As the nation’s largest living history museum, Colonial Williamsburg has demonstrated its commitment to telling the story of all the residents of 18th- century Williamsburg, half of whom were African Americans," said Rex Ellis, Colonial Williamsburg vice president-Historic Area presentations. "Generous support from individuals, corporations and foundations like the Rockefeller Brothers Fund make it possible for us to integrate African-American history into our overall educational programs, enabling our visitors to have a much more complete and accurate understanding of life in Virginia on the eve of the American Revolution."
This is the Rockefeller Brothers Fund’s second grant to Colonial Williamsburg. In the late 1970s, it awarded the foundation $4 million.
The Rockefeller Brothers Fund, based in New York City, was founded in 1940 as a vehicle through which the five sons and one daughter of John D. Rockefeller Jr. could combine their philanthropic efforts. The fund’s priorities include enhancing the quality of American elementary and secondary education; encouraging a better understanding of, and participation in, the democratic process, both in this country and abroad; playing a leadership role in the non-profit sector; developing cultural exhibitions and outreach programs that are accessible to a diverse audience; and furthering historic preservation values. To that end, from 1940 through 2000, the RBF disbursed a total of nearly $526 million in grants worldwide. In 2000, the fund made more than 600 grant payments worth $32 million.