Colonial Williamsburg® The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

November 29, 2011

Meet Authors of Newest Book and Browse Galleries Dressed for the Season at the Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg Open House, Dec. 1

Guests celebrate the publication of Colonial Williamsburg’s newest book, “The Art-Full Tree: Ornaments to Make Inspired by the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum,” at a Museum Open House from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 1 at the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum, 326 W. Francis St., Williamsburg.

Guests meet co-authors Jan Gilliam, Colonial Williamsburg manager of exhibition planning and associate curator of toys, and Christina Westenberger, Colonial Williamsburg assistant manager of museum education, and get their books signed. Guests also can create an art-inspired ornament to take home.

The book, “The Art-Full Tree,” will be available for purchase at the Museum Store.

During the open house, volunteers will be on hand to give “The Art-Full Tree” tour that gives guests an opportunity to see objects that inspired the handmade ornaments. Guests also can view the 16-foot tree decorated with 1,000 ornaments. The traditional Christmas tree display began with the opening of the original folk art museum in 1957.

Musicians, who will be performing in the Hennage Auditorium during the holiday season, add to the festive atmosphere with seasonal selections.

Lemon raspberry fruit tarts, pecan bars, tea cookies, cheese straws, and hot cider and hot chocolate will be served. A cash bar is available.

During the open house, guests have the opportunity to browse the galleries that are dressed for the holiday season. The Carolina Room features a display of antique toys. Two treasured dollhouses – the Long Island and Rumford Dollhouses – also are on view. Found in Long Island, N.Y., the Long Island Dollhouse was made around 1900 and measures over 12 feet in length. Its furnishings consist of pieces from 19th and 20th centuries. The Rumford Dollhouse features four rooms and was made in the early part of the 19th century for twin sisters living in Philadelphia. The house passed through several generations of the same family until it was given to the folk art museum. All of the furnishings are original to the house.

Admission and parking are free.

For more information, visit

The Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg include the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum and the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum. The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum is home to the nation’s premier collection of American folk art, with more than 5,000 folk art objects made during the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. The DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum exhibits the best in British and American decorative arts from 1670–1830.

The Art Museums of Colonial Williamsburg are located at the intersection of Francis and South Henry Streets in Williamsburg, Va., and are entered through the Public Hospital of 1773. Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily. For museum program information, telephone (757) 220-7724.

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational and cultural organization that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at

Media Contact:
Penna Rogers
(757) 220-7121