October 13, 2016
A Technological Revolution: The New, Enhanced Colonial Williamsburg Explorer Mobile AppColonial Camera mobile photo overlays, character-tracking and other new location-based tools add to wayfinding, ticketing and reservations; through Nov. 1 users qualify for savings at Colonial Williamsburg retail locations and a free appetizer – an app for an app with entree purchase at Colonial Williamsburg restaurants
The new fun and functional Colonial Williamsburg Explorer mobile app offers wayfinding, a tool for tracking favorite characters like mascot Liberty, event information and dining reservations, and the Colonial Camera, featuring fun overlays for images snapped on mobile devices, all accessible via a home-screen icon depicting the Governor’s Palace.
For 21st-century guests looking to make the most of their visit to the 18th century’s Revolutionary City, an enriched, fully interactive experience is just a tap away via the new Colonial Williamsburg Explorer mobile app, now available for free download.
Fun features like “Colonial Camera” mobile photo overlays and a location-based tool to track and meet favorite characters like official mascot Liberty add to functionalities like wayfinding, program information and reservations at Colonial Williamsburg restaurants via OpenTable.
Through Nov. 1 guests who display the new app qualify for 10 percent off purchases at Colonial Williamsburg retail stores and receive a free appetizer – “an app for an app” – with purchase of an entrée at any Colonial Williamsburg restaurant.
“Guests visit the Revolutionary City to immerse themselves in the 18th century, yet they still look to their mobile devices to guide them and enrich their experience,” said Andrea Sardone, Colonial Williamsburg executive director of marketing. “We listened to what they want, and we’re confident this new app will add fun and efficiency to an authentic trip back in time.”
Other functionalities include:
• Location-based greeting: When the app opens, users with location-based services enabled will see a photo and message based on their location relative to or in the Historic Area.
• Favorite events: Users receive a notification a short time before “favorited” events begin.
• One-tap directions: One tap generates map-based walking directions to a selected site or event.
• Utility button: In the map, a quick-access button displays key locations by category: parking, bus stops, restrooms, ticketing, and “Near Me,” which recommends and displays three nearby locations for the user to visit.
• Downloadable map: Users can download a copy of the map for offline use.
The new Colonial Williamsburg Explorer mobile app, displayed on the user’s home screen with an icon depicting the Governor’s Palace, is available for free download via the Apple App Store and Google Play. For users of the legacy Colonial Williamsburg Explorer app, the new application downloads as an update.
High-resolution graphics including screen captures from the new Colonial Williamsburg Explorer mobile app are available here.