July 8, 2003
Williamsburg and Stickley Introduce a Timely New Product: The Governor's Palace Tall Clock
The WILLIAMSBURG Products Program and Stickley have introduced an elegant new way to keep time: the Governor’s Palace Tall Clock, an adaptation of a circa 1760 Scottish rococo clock that was brought to Williamsburg in 1772 by Lord Dunmore, the last royal governor of the colony of Virginia. The adaptation of this impressive timepiece measures 90 inches high, 19 inches wide and 12 ½ inches deep, with the width and depth adjusted slightly from the original to accommodate a German movement with triple chimes. It also features a painted dial instead of the gilt version on the antique.
The first tall case clocks in Virginia were imported from Britain, and the Virginia gentry displayed them with pride in their parlors and dining rooms. During an anti-British uprising by the American colonists in 1775, Lord Dunmore fled the Governor’s Palace in Williamsburg and was forced to leave most of his possessions behind. According to historical documentation, the following year, Dunmore’s mahogany clock, a settee and chairs were sold at public auction to Jamestown planter James Ambler. Ambler’s family donated the clock to Colonial Williamsburg in 1965. Currently, the original is on display at the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum at Colonial Williamsburg.
The Governor’s Palace Tall Clock retails for $7,832 and is available at both Craft House locations, Colonial Williamsburg’s flagship store for WILLIAMSBURG® Reserve Collection products. Revenue from the sale of this and all WILLIAMSBURG® products supports the educational programs of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, a not-for-profit, tax-exempt educational organization that oversees and operates the restored 18th-century town of Williamsburg. For more information, call toll-free (800) 446-9240 or visit online at www.williamsburgmarketplace.com.
Known worldwide as the nation’s largest living history museum, Colonial Williamsburg recently was recognized as the “Best Historic Site” by readers of Southern Living magazine for the seventh straight year. Colonial Williamsburg is located 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information or reservations, call toll-free (800) HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at www.colonialwilliamsburg.org.