June 20, 2003
Craft House at the Williamsburg Inn Moves to Merchants Square
The Craft House at the Williamsburg Inn will relocate to the new College Corner Building now under construction, joining Binns and Talbots as the third tenant in Colonial Williamsburg’s newest retail facility at Merchants Square. The Craft House will occupy 7,000 square feet in the northeast and northwest corners of the building. The tentative opening date is scheduled for early Spring 2004.
“We are excited by the opportunity to move the Craft House, our original flagship store, to a larger space in a prime retail location in Merchants Square,” said Jim Easton, vice president of products. “This move will enable us to more effectively introduce our guests to the breadth of our home furnishings lines. The new space also will allow us to increase the exposure of our Colonial Williamsburg Design Studio’s full range of exceptional interior design services. The Design Studio will be featured much more prominently in the new location.”
No decision has been made regarding future use of the space the Craft House will vacate at the Inn.
The Craft House at the Williamsburg Inn opened for business in October 1937 following the launch of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s products program the year before. In 1983, a second Craft House location opened at Merchants Square, the contemporary shopping district adjacent to the Historic Area. That store will remain in its present location. Comprising more than 40 specialty shops, restaurants, bookstores and a theater, Merchants Square is owned by Colonial Williamsburg, which leases most of the stores to private owners.
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that operates the restored 18th-century capital of Virginia. Known worldwide as the nation’s largest living history museum, Colonial Williamsburg recently was recognized as the “Best Historic Site” by readers of Southern Living magazine for the seventh straight year. Colonial Williamsburg is located 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information or reservations, call toll-free (800) HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s website at www.ColonialWilliamsburg.org.