Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

December 9, 2005

Concert at CW's DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum celebrates 300th anniversary of Benjamin Franklin's birth

Colonial performers David and Ginger Hildebrand will bring Founding Father Benjamin Franklin to life through music on the eve of the 300th anniversary of his birth. At 1 and 3 p.m. Sunday, January 15 in Colonial Williamsburg’s DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, the Hildebrands will introduce guests to the varied music Franklin knew on period instruments, including a 1766 Zumpe square piano reproduction, dulcimer, Spanish guitar and violin.

Always an advocate for the common folk, Franklin delighted in sentimental Scot songs and broadside ballads. He authored comical texts to be sung as drinking songs and had country dance tunes named in his honor. There is even a song in Franklin’s honor composed by a Parisian priest. As a diplomat and gentleman, he was frequently at the opera and at concerts in Philadelphia, Paris and London.

Following the concerts, guests are invited to attend a birthday bash complete with a birthday cake in the Wallace Museum’s Café.

David and Ginger Hildebrand present concerts and educational programs throughout the United States for museums, historical societies and sites, as well as at universities for graduate and undergraduate students. They appear frequently at Colonial Williamsburg’s Hennage Auditorium and Mount Vernon. Their music is featured on several recent movies and television, such as the PBS series “Liberty!” and C-SPAN's “American Presidents.”

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation’s award-winning DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum, supported by the DeWitt Wallace Endowment Fund, displays the Foundation’s exceptional collection of British and American decorative arts. Entered through the reconstructed Public Hospital of 1773, the museum is on Francis Street near Merchants Square and is open daily 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is included in any multi-day Colonial Williamsburg admission ticket or separate museums ticket. For program information call (757) 220-7724.

Media Contact:
Penna Rogers
(757) 220-7121



Footer