June 8, 2007
Summer Colonial Williamsburg Journal highlights British nautical adventures
Williamsburg-based Journal contributor Ivor Noël Hume tells the story of a seasoned British sea captain in the Jamestown 400th Anniversary article “The Mystery of Sir George Somers and His Bermuda Triangle” in the summer edition of Colonial Williamsburg, the journal of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. “Nothing intrigues a historian more than history with a hole in it. In this case, it is a ninety-eight-day hole in 1610 when Sir George Somers and his thirty-ton ship Patience vanished in a triangle cornered by Jamestown, Sagadahoc in Maine, and Bermuda. That is more northerly than the Bermuda Triangle of legend, but Somers’s disappearance is as baffling as any anywhere.
“The story of steering the doomed Sea Venture onto Bermuda’s reefs July 25, 1609, saving its crew, its Jamestown-bound passengers, and dog, is graven in the annals of maritime lore. Not so well remembered, is what happened afterward.”
In the article, “The Spa of Colonial Williamsburg: Something More Than All the Comforts of Home,” readers learn how spa developer Sylvia Sepielli sought to create an atmosphere within the spa that reflects the area’s personality and culture. Colonial Williamsburg’s new spa offers guests a varied menu of services that have their roots in four centuries of health practices.
Elsewhere in the issue can be found:
These articles and articles from previous issues are found online at www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/foundation/journal/feature.cfm. Colonial Williamsburg can be purchased at Everything Williamsburg™ and WILLIAMSBURG Booksellers® at the Foundation’s Visitor Center. Complimentary copies of the printed magazine can be obtained and subscriptions ordered at https://bookings.willamsburgmarketplace.com/secureorders/fundform.htm.
Colonial Williamsburg, the journal of The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, is published six times a year by The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. The journal is a benefit to donors who contribute $35 a year or more and $8 is reserved for the subscription.
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture — stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic tradespeople research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry. As Colonial Williamsburg interprets life in the time of the American Revolution for its guests, it also invites them to interact with history. Williamsburg is located 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information or reservations, call toll-free 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg on the Internet at www.ColonialWilliamsburg.com.