>
Colonial Williamsburg®

History.org: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation's Official History and Citizenship Website

CW Foundation navigation

The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Page content
Reset text sizeResize text larger

January 4, 2008

Lisa E. Fishcer named director of CW's Digital History Center

Lisa E. Fischer has been named director of Colonial Williamsburg’s Digital History Center (DHC). In this position, she manages digital initiatives within the Foundation’s research division, including Virtual Williamsburg, eWilliamsburg and the American Revolution Web projects.

Located in the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, the DHC uses innovative technologies to engage the public in the continuing conversation about the American Revolution, citizenship and democracy. DHC staff employs technologies such as Geographic Information Systems and Virtual Reality to create electronic resources for studying and analyzing 18th-century Williamsburg. The DHC also provides guidance to the members of the research division concerning digital standards to ensure consistency and the long-term preservation of data.

“The Digital History Center has become a vital part of the work of the research division in recent years and is rapidly establishing itself as one of the principal centers for the creation of educational digital media in the country,” said Jim Horn, vice president of research and Abby and George O’Neill Director of the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library. “Lisa Fischer has done a superb job of managing the DHC over the past year and I am delighted by her promotion.”

Fischer began her career with Colonial Williamsburg in 1997 as an archaeological technician in the archaeological research department. In 1999, she became a project archaeologist, overseeing the excavation of the Douglass Theater, Williamsburg’s last colonial playhouse built in 1760 by David Douglass, manager of an itinerant acting troupe. In 2003 she joined the DHC as a research assistant and advanced to manager of the DHC in 2006.

She earned a bachelor’s degree in anthropology from Amherst College in 1994 and earned a master’s degree in anthropology from the College of William and Mary in 2001. She also has a certificate in Geographic Information Systems from The Pennsylvania State University.

Fischer is a member of the Society for Historical Archaeology, Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology, and the Council for Northeast Historical Archaeology.

Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture — stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic tradespeople research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry. As Colonial Williamsburg interprets life in the time of the American Revolution for its guests, it also invites them to interact with history. Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.history.org.

Media Contact:
Penna Rogers
(757) 220-7121



Footer