June 13, 2008
Take a break from summer heat and enjoy musical programs in the Museums of Colonial Williamsburg
Colonial Williamsburg offers a variety of historic attractions indoors and out. Take a break from the sun and enjoy “Summer Coolers,” a series of indoor museum programs, at the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum.
During “Wanderer’s Music,” Stephen Christoff performs the music of the traveler, as he sings and plays a wide variety of instruments that traveled with our forefathers and then became a source of entertainment in new homes on distant shores. Come out to the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum at 3 p.m. and see unique musical performances on the musical saw, octave mandolin, Jew’s harp, Spanish guitar, banjo, comb and paper, and hand-bones. Show dates are Fridays, June 13, 27, July 18, 25, Aug. 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29.
Musical historian and performer Carson Hudson explores the history of the Virginia banjo from the 18th century to what we are familiar with today in “Whoop and Holler.” Hear music played on reproductions of early banjos. “Whoop and Holler” will be presented at 5 p.m. every Tuesday through June 17-Aug. 26.
Join Dean Shostak in “Fiddleworks” for an all new foot-stomping romp through 400 years of fiddle music. Showings begin at 4:30 p.m. on June 19, 26, July 10, and at 1:30 p.m. on Oct. 2, 9, 16 and 23.
Kelly Kennedy explores early American songs of birds, animals and the folks who lived with them on guitar, dulcimer, autoharp and dance in the program “Peaceable Kingdom” on 4:30 p.m. July 3.
A Colonial Williamsburg admissions ticket, Good Neighbor Card or museums ticket provides access to these musical programs. Reservations are required and can be made at any Colonial Williamsburg ticket outlet.
The Museums of Colonial Williamsburg include the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum and the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum. Entrance to the Museums of Colonial Williamsburg is through the Public Hospital of 1773 on Francis Street between Nassau and South Henry Streets at 326 W. Francis St. Operating hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. For information and reservations call (757) 220-7724.
Established in 1926, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation is the not-for-profit educational institution that preserves and operates the restored 18th-century Revolutionary capital of Virginia as a town-sized living history museum, telling the inspirational stories of our nation’s founding men and women. Within the restored and reconstructed buildings, historic interpreters, attired as colonial men and women from slaves to shopkeepers to soldiers, relate stories of colonial Virginia society and culture – stories of our journey to become Americans – while historic trades people research, demonstrate and preserve the 18th-century world of work and industry. As Colonial Williamsburg interprets life in the time of the American Revolution for its guests, it also invites them to interact with history. “Revolutionary City®,” a dramatic live street theater presentation, is a 2008 Rand McNally Best-of-the-Road™ Editor’s Pick. Williamsburg is located in Virginia’s Tidewater region, 20 minutes from Newport News, within an hour’s drive of Richmond and Norfolk, and 150 miles south of Washington, D.C., off Interstate 64. For more information about Colonial Williamsburg, call 1-800-HISTORY or visit Colonial Williamsburg’s Web site at www.history.org.