WILLIAMSBURG, October 10, 1777.
To be RENTED, Seven neat rooms, in the house occupied by Mr. Richard Charlton, in the back street, opposite to Mrs. Starke's, to gentlemen who choose to live private and furnish their own rooms. A good stable belonging to the premises, and immediate possession give at the meeting of the Assembly. ROBERT GILBERT.
Virginia Gazette (Purdie) October 10, 1777
VIEW FULL ISSUE
IN DIGITAL LIBRARY
About this entry:
Richard Charlton, operated taverns at 2 sites on the Duke of Gloucester Street prior to 1777 and prior to his death in 1779. He also practiced the craft of wigmaking. In 1776 a brief wigmaking partnership with James Nichols ended abruptly, and it is not known why Charlton moved to a house on the "back street" where unfurnished rooms were offered for rent. Robert Gilbert was a shoemaker who also operated his business on the "back street".
Sources: CWRR Charlton House