The Order of the Pineapple
For more than 30 years, the Order of the Pineapple award has been presented to those employees who exhibit extraordinary hospitality and courtesy toward guests and/or colleagues. Recipients of this award are selected from nominations and letters of recognition for acts of hospitality and courtesy to guests or fellow employees.
Criteria for nomination for the Order of the Pineapple support the One Foundation Expectations and include:
- Exceeding guest and employee expectations;
- Serving as a role model by consistently exhibiting hospitality and courtesy toward others;
- Enhancing the dignity and self-esteem of employees and guests;
- Promoting hospitality and courtesy within nominee’s own department and between other departments and divisions;
- Going above and beyond what one’s job requires on a regular basis.
Recent Award Winners
Colonial Williamsburg President Colin Campbell presented Terry Stanton, supervisor, hotel services maintenance, with the award on June 5, 2012, at the Williamsburg Lodge Garden Lounge.
Those who recommended Terry for the award had this to say:
- “Terry is a supervisor who leads by example. He makes people feel welcomed and part of a team.”
- “When Terry has to tell one of us we have not met his expectations on a project, he does so in a manner that leaves our self-esteem intact and makes us want to try again to get it right.”
- “In the 15 years I have been associated with the hospitality team, I have never heard Terry complain. He has a positive, ‘can-do’ attitude and is respectful of our guests, working around them so they can have a perfect stay with us.”
- “I have worked with Terry for 17 years. I can always count on him to be courteous, timely and discreet. He truly understands that his work impacts our guests’ experience.”
- “Terry’s responsiveness to our requests is terrific. He is great about quickly addressing a problem and following up to let us know the status, which directly affects other employees as well as our guests.”
- “Terry is a true coach who looks for talent and the good in everyone who work for him.”
Colonial Williamsburg President Colin Campbell Kevin Brock, kitchen utility attendant at the Williamsburg Inn, received the award on June 27, 2012, at the Inn.
Those who recommended Kevin for this award had this to say:
- “Kevin is an inspiration to his co-workers. He is the first person to greet us when we arrive early in the morning. His warm welcome sets the tone for the day. He exudes passion for doing the job correctly in everything he does, and constantly goes the extra mile to help his fellow employees. He often accompanies the chefs to VIP events in the Barraud, Coke Garrett and Providence Hall houses, and he treats the fine china and glassware as if it were his own.”
- “Kevin has a friendly, hospitable demeanor 100 percent of the time. His beaming smile is infectious. When he is scheduled to be here, I know I have no worries in the stewardship department. Kevin truly understands how his role and his performance directly impact guests’ experience at the Inn. If I were to leave tomorrow, I don’t think anyone would notice; if Kevin were to leave, his absence would be immediately noticed.”
- “Kevin always puts others first. He knows our operation and anticipates the needs of internal customers. He takes pride in his work and takes pride in teaching and helping co-workers. He never says ‘no’ and has a positive outlook in all situations. He is true example of superior hospitality and courtesy.”
- “Kevin is a person you ask to do something, and he does his very best to get it done, no matter what we ask. He is always pleasant, no matter what the circumstances. He never has a negative word to say about his work, his surroundings or his fellow employees.”
Colonial Williamsburg President Colin Campbell presented Robert Hall, a bellman at the Williamsburg Lodge, with the award on Aug. 15 at the Williamsburg Lodge Garden Lounge.
Employees and guests who recommended Robert for the award had this to say:
- “We can’t express in words how amazing his work ethic is and how dedicated he is to the Foundation.”
- “There’s no such thing as just bellmen’s responsibilities in Robert’s vocabulary. He’s always there to help.”
- “The entire front desk team relies on Robert because he is so dependable, professional and courteous to every guest.”
- “Robert at the front door was just wonderful to my daughter, and I greatly appreciate it.”
- “On busy days, we have to interrupt his lunch to help guests; he jumps in with a smile without compliant.”
- “Robert was especially helpful in finding us a room with a roll-in accessible shower. He spent extra time helping us find the right room.”
- “Mr. Robert on the bell staff was so helpful to me when I injured my ankle.”
- “Robert on the bell staff, thank you for taking such good care of us. We appreciate your kindness.”
CONTACT US: [email protected]